Gaming has come a long way since the days when competing meant getting the top score at the local arcade. eSports, describes the organized video game competitions that are quickly rising in popularity as more gamers become fierce pro competitors.
Now pro gamers are competing around the world — some for winnings in the millions — at events such as the Major League Gaming (MLG) circuit, The International Dota 2 championship and League of Legends Finals.
pick your game
- With services like Xbox Live & PlayStation Plus, you can compete with skilled players around the world
- Find a game you're good at and become exceptional
- Once you've found your game, build your reputation as both a skilled single and team player
- Winning & cash prizes are big motivators for pro gamers
- Family & friends support push pro gamers to be their best
- Passion: nothing drives you more than when you love what you're doing
- Study the best tactics
- Watch gameplays
- Learn how to lose: even when you lose, you're practicing
- Live stream you're games to gain feedback
- Get equipment that allows you to properly test your abilities against the competition
- Choose the right performance that suits your lifestyle
- A light gaming notebook allows you to meet up & practice with your team
- A highly customizable desktop lets you have the most up-to-date hardware for evolving games
join the community
- Being a team player is just as valuable as individual skill
- Learn the rules of the particular community
- A great opportunity to get know other pro gamers
find a team
- Once you've established your reputation as a serious competitor, find a team
- Try out for local teams
- Find communities where you can foster your own team
- Check your high school or university: Most schools are starting to form their own eSports team
- Once you're good enough to join a team, start entering tournaments
- Test your skills in as many online & local tournaments as possible
- In Atlanta, there are many avenues to compete in local tournaments such as through the Georgia Esports League (GEL), VS Realm eSports Arena hosts events, as well as the numerous invitationals hosted by PCX
- Pro gamers benefit from sponsors who can help provide the necessary equipment to compete
- Schools, sports teams, and companies are starting to realize the potential behind eSports and have begun sponsoring teams
- To earn a living as a pro gamer, find a way to get sponsored.
If you're interested in gaining momentum or breaking into the game industry, then learn how you can level up your game. For more information, check out Daylon Furlough's article, "How To Become A Pro Gamer – 8 Tips From The Pros"
Sign up for updates on what's happening around the PCX community.